We actively encourage our students and staff to walk, scoot or cycle to the academy as this helps to:
- keep us fit and healthy
- develop road safety skills which will keep students safe as they travel further afield and more independently
- keep our local air clean, and our streets free from congestion
- develop life skills.
What we do:
- We update and monitor our academy travel plan on a yearly basis.
- We promote safe and active travel as much as possible.
- We encourage all members of our academy community to walk, cycle or travel by public transport for the journey to the academy. To support this we provide:
- cycle training (Bikeability)
- scooter training
- pedestrian training
- cycle parking
- scooter parking
- lockers for helmets/equipment
- public transport information
- Local academy visits are made by public transport where possible, or on foot if the destination is close by.
- We let all new students and their parents/carers know that we promote healthy and sustainable travel to the academy before the child starts.
What we ask of parents/carers
- Please encourage your child(ren) to walk, scoot or cycle to the academy whenever possible.
- Ensure your child(ren) walk or ride sensibly and safely on the way to and from the academy and to push bikes and scooters on the academy site.
- Ensure that bicycles and scooters are roadworthy and properly maintained. If in doubt consult a qualified mechanic.
- Provide your child(ren) with a cycle helmet.
- Ensure your child(ren) can be seen, by fitting lights to their bicycle and by supplying them with high-visibility clothing.
- Make sure your child(ren) has a lock for their bike or scooter and that they know how to use it.
- Ensure you have appropriate insurance cover for your child(ren)’s bicycle or scooter as the academy is not liable for any loss or damage to bicycles or scooters on the premises or being used on the way to or from the academy.
We understand that sometimes there is no alternative to driving to the academy
- Where a car must be used we ask parents/carers to drive only part of the way and drop their child(ren) off away from the academy so that some of the journey can be walked to avoid congestion on site. This helps to keep all our students safe.
- If you do have to drive your child(ren) and stop in the near vicinity, please do so legally, safely and with respect for our neighbours and local residents:
- it is not acceptable to park or wait on double yellow lines, at a junction or across residential driveways for any period of time.
- if you drop off your child(ren) on the academy site, please use the designated drop off zone off to one side and avoid blocking the entrances for other vehicles. This is clearly indicated on the car park as you enter.
Please note that the decision on whether a child is competent to cycle or scoot to the academy is for the parents/carers to make. The academy has no liability for any consequences arising from this decision.
What we ask of students
- Ask your parents/carers if you can walk, scoot or cycle to the academy.
- Behave in a way that shows you and the academy in the best light whether walking, scooting, cycling or using public transport.
- Ride or walk courteously, sensibly and safely on the way to and from the academy.
- Push bicycles and scooters on the academy grounds.
- Check that your bicycle or scooter is roadworthy and properly maintained.
- Remember the importance of wearing a cycle helmet.
- Make sure you can be seen by using lights in the dark or bad weather and by wearing high-visibility clothing.
- Make sure you have a lock for your bicycle or scooter and that you use it.
Bicycles & Motor Scooters
Please download, print, complete and return the form below to Reception.